Pork Belly Crackling
1⁄2 cup of Slane Irish Whiskey
1 Star Anise
1 1⁄2 lbs of Pork Belly
4 tablespoons of Tomato Ketchup 2 tablespoons of Soy Sauce
2 tablespoons of Honey
Chives and Sour Cream to Serve (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Pour 1⁄2 cup of Slane into a small, shallow roasting tin and add the star anise.
- Season the pork belly, put in the tin and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 3 hours.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for at least 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the pork from the tin. Using a small, sharp knife, pare away the rind from the meat, leaving a small layer of fat.
- Cut the meat into 2inch chunks and return to the tin.
- Roast for 20 minutes until crisp and sizzling, turning regularly.
- While meat is roasting take ketchup, honey, soy sauce and remaining Slane and pour into a small saucepan.
- Over high heat bring the sauce to the boil until thick and syrupy.
- Pour over the chunks of pork and toss to coat.
- Roast for another 10 minutes until the pork chunks are sticky.
- Snip chives into sour cream to serve alongside pork chunks (Optional).
Note from the Chef
"One of the first recipes I ever played with when I first got a bottle of Slane into my hands. I always loved crackin’ from pork belly and the addition of Slane to the recipe really brings it to life."